Monday 18 February 2013

Gun 3D Model - Research (XB1134)

Our final assignment for James this semester is to produce both a complete 3D model of a gun designed by ourselves. I decided to design a revolver pistol as I am fond of this weapons aesthetics and practical design (as well as recently playing Metal Gear Solid 3). I began by searching for images of existing revolvers and gathered them together into a mood board which can be seen below. As you can see, they come in a variety of different styles as well as more recent models having a higher ammunition capacity.



I also had a look at revolvers with attached scopes which had some interesting designs although for my design I would not include one.


While researching information about how the firearm actually operates I discovered that throughout the revolvers lifespan that models could have three different loading and reloading mechanisms. I created a diagram below which gives a brief summary of each design.

 Now that I had a good idea of what my design would look like I drew out the design with turnaround views of both sides and the front of the revolver. I found a diagram that described each part of the gun and how the major parts functioned.

The latch on the left side of the gun is used to release the cylinder that contains the ammunition which shifts down and out from the weapon. The bullets are then loaded into the cylinder and pushed back into the weapon.

There are also two different firing methods, one where the user must pull back the hammer manually and then pull the trigger which snaps the hammer forward to fire the bullet. The other method is more modern where pulling the trigger will pull back the hammer automatically which allows for faster firing.

I have provided a copy of the diagram below:



I drew out a final design sketch showing both sides and the front of the revolver which is also shown below:





The materials of the gun would mostly of an aluminium alloy and a steel barrel. The hand grip would be made of a hard plastic since my design uses more modern materials used in today's firearms.


No comments:

Post a Comment